11.30.2012

pushing buttons & pouring soap

the title of this post pretty much sums up how the week has been going.  i'm sure that i've accomplished many other things, but today is friday, and i find myself feeling like that is all i have done, push the buttons on the washing machine and added some soap.

i look around the house on this gloomy friday and see a ton of things that i should be doing, but not feeling that i really want to do any of them.  bathrooms need to be cleaned, dishwasher needs to be unloaded and loaded back up again, dust is multiplying before my eyes, floors need mopping or at least sweeping, and the list just goes on...

do you ever have days or even weeks like this?  seems like i have been feeling this way all week long.  little A has been sick since sunday and not really getting any better, so a trip to urgent care with all four children in tow will be happening later this afternoon/evening.  there is a womens event tonight at church that i would love to attend, but i don't really see that happening.  my hard-working husband has worked so much this week that i'm not sure if we've said more that 10 words to each other each day.  i'm not complaining about the job, but i don't really like weeks when the deadlines just keep coming and he doesn't really have a choice.  all we've really done this week is a target run and getting the boys to and from school.

it seems like weeks such as these have me feeling a bit down.  wondering what in world i am doing, and if anything i am doing really matters at all.  if often seems like i look around and everyone else is doing something, like they all have their thing, even the moms with young ones.  then i look at myself and think hmm, what's my thing, i don't have a thing, why can't i just have my thing that i do? do you understand what i'm saying?  deep down i know that my role as wife and momma to these four precious children of mine is important, but i think that we all have times when we feel like this.

well, the sick one is waking up from a nap, so i must go.  hoping to get something done today, one of things that i listed above, something other than pushing buttons and pouring soap, really i am.  but, i guess if all i did this week was push buttons and pour soap, at least we have clean clothes to wear.

2 comments:

Spence Ohana said...

Oh this happens often in our home. I swear the chores are a never ending cycle. It never fails once "my weekend" starts on Wednesday and Stephen goes to work & the kids go to school...a really dirty house is staring back at me. Sigh.

I know what you mean about having "your thing". Being a wife and mama do take a lot of our time - but it is important to give a little time to ourselves even if it's only once a month or so. I joined our neighborhood's bunco group but had to resign when I started working on the weekends. I go and get my eyebrows waxed every 6 weeks - does that count? :)

Don't worry about comparing yourself to those "other moms" that have their "thing" down! You have lots of special things going on in your life!

Kari said...

I feel like I never get things done quite often. Laundry has not been getting done very quickly. It's to the point that my 7 year didn't have a single pair of underwear or socks to wear the next day to school. That finally made me fold the basket of laundry in my room where I found him enough for a few days. I was so excited that I didn't need to do a load of laundry right then.
I just subscribed to your blog. Now I won't miss any of your updates.